It’s your choice
There is no ‘best choice’ of birth control that works for everyone. You have the right to decide what method is best for you. How do you know what method of birth control is right for you?
There are many things to consider when choosing a form of birth control. It is important for you to know the facts about each method to be able to make an informed choice that suits your needs, health, values and lifestyle.
Some questions you may want to consider when choosing a method are:
- How effective is this method?
- Can I use this method, or do I have to rely on a partner to use it effectively?
- Does this method protect against Sexually Transmitted Infections?
- How is this method used? Does it fit my needs and lifestyle?
- Does this method have any side effects? If yes, what are they?
- What is the cost of this method?
- How available is this method and where can I find it?
- How will this method affect my ability to have or cause a pregnancy in the future?
- Do I have an allergy or medical condition that will affect my ability to use this method?
- How do I feel about applying this method to my body?
- How do I feel about taking hormones or my partner having to take hormones?
For more information about the forms of birth control available, or to discuss which method(s) would work for you, please contact the Calgary Sexual Health Centre at 403-283-5580 to speak with one of our counsellors, or talk to a health care provider. Knowing your options will help you decide on the best method for you.