For pregnancy to happen there needs to be:
- an egg from the body of a person with a vulva/vagina
- sperm (ejaculate) from the body of a person with a penis, cervical mucus
- sexual activity
The process looks like this:
- When an egg is released from an ovary it travels through the fallopian tubes.
- Meanwhile, hormones in the body change the cervical mucus. This means that sperm can easily pass through the opening of the cervix and into the uterus and fallopian tubes.
- Once inside the fallopian tube, a sperm may come together and “fertilize” the egg.
- The fertilized egg will move down the fallopian tube to the uterus.
- If the fertilized egg implants in the uterine wall, this is when a pregnancy happens.
Sexual activity that could cause a pregnancy includes: