Even with the best intentions, people can still get Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)from their partner. But the more informed you are, the easier it is to protect yourself and your partner from STIs.
Here are some tips to help you avoid STIs. Consider which will work for you:
- always use barriers like condoms or dental dams
- choose safer sexual activities like kissing, touching and massaging
- avoid sex altogether
- reduce the number of partners you have sex with
- get tested regularly
- ask your partner if they’ve been tested or to come get tested with you
- know how to use condoms effectively
- talk to your partner about safer sex (protection, testing, STI history)
- avoid sharing needles
- avoid getting unprofessional tattoos or piercings
STIs can have different effects depending on the person and which STI it is. And STIs can even be present but show NO SYMPTOMS. They only way to really know if you have an STI is to get tested.
For information on STIs and where to get tested in Calgary, visit us at https://www.centreforsexuality.ca/the_basics_about_stis.html.
And to see what its like to go for STI testing, view our “How to Be a SexPert” podcast: